Posted by CaliforniaHatchery.com on 6/30/2018 to
Summer is officially here! And on that note, we would like to provide our recommendations for chicken breeds that stay cooler in summertime temperatures, and maintain quality and consistent egg laying capabilities when the weather is hot. Also, we'd like to share some tips on keeping your chickens healthy in the summertime.
In general, chicken breeds that are smaller can stay cooler in summertime weather better than larger breeds. Chickens that have fewer or lighter weight feathers can handle the hot temperatures better because they can cool down faster than larger breeds with more feathers. Also, chicken breeds that originate from Countries with hot climates will generally maintain quality egg laying capabilities in the summertime.
Best Chicken Breeds for Summer
1) White Leghorn Chicken- The white leghorn can stay cooler better than most other breeds due to its white color and small size. The white leghorn is a smaller chicken breed, weighing approximately 5 pounds (lbs), which makes it easier for this breed to stay cooler in the summertime. Additionally, the white leghorn chicken breed originates from Italy, making this breed accustomed the very hot Mediterranean summer temperatures. The white leghorn is also one of the best egg laying chicken breeds, laying large white eggs.
2) Rhode Island Red Chicken- The rhode island red chicken breed is an american breed that can stay cooler in summer temperatures, but also does well in the cooler winter temperatures. This breed typically has a weight between 6-7 pounds (lbs), and is an excellent egg layer, laying large brown eggs. The rhode island red chicken can lay up to 300 eggs per year.
3) Welsummer Chicken- The welsummer chicken breed originates from holland and weighs between 4-6 pounds (lbs). The welsummer breed lays medium sized reddish brown eggs with speckles. We chose the welsummer as a versatile weather breed due to its smaller size, which allows it to cool down faster in the summertime. The welsummer is a free-ranging chicken breed that typically lays around 150 eggs per year.
4) Delaware Chicken- The delaware chicken is a versatile climate american chicken breed that can stay cooler in the summertime. This breed is has mostly white feathers and is a lighter weight chicken, weighing between 4-6 pounds (lbs). The delaware breed lays large brown eggs, and has a very calm personality, making them an ideal backyard chicken breed.
5) Exchequer Leghorn- The exchequer leghorn chicken is a lightweight chicken breed that weighs between 3-5 pounds (lbs). Due to its smaller size, it can stay cooler in the summertime, while still maintaining excellent medium-large white egg laying capability. The exchequer leghorn originates from Italy, making this chicken breed ready to handle the hot Mediterranean summers.
Visit our chickens for sale section to view all chicken breeds, including those listed above, ready for the summer weather!
Tips for Keeping your Backyard Chickens Healthy in the Summer
The most important rule to follow for healthy summertime chickens is to ensure that your chickens always have access to cool water. If you leave your chickens alone during the day and aren't able to ensure their water is cooler temperature, we recommend to at least place their water source under a shaded area. Additionally, you can add electrolytes to their water which will help to prevent dehydration. Some backyard chicken enthusiasts will also feed their chickens cold fruit and vegetables during the summertime months to help keep their core temperature cooler.
Stay cool this summer, and happy chickening!